Bali - Travel Diary

Wednesday 3 April 2019


So, I think I'm finally over my Bali PTSD enough to write about it.

Unfortunately, my phone was damaged/drowned on this trip and I was one of those people that didn't believe in paying for iCloud storage so photos are a little more limited than intended. FYI I now pay for iCloud storage. 

Desperate to go to Bali in 2018, I managed to slot it in just before Christmas. As all my friends had already been/weren't really interested in going, I booked a Topdeck tour. For those of you who don't know, Topdeck is a group tour company for '18-30 somethings'. So although I was going alone, I wouldn't actually be alone. Just to make this paragraph a little more confusing, I did actually end up going alone for a week beforehand as a last minute decision to get some relaxation in before a busy few weeks of travelling (I went to Vietnam straight after Bali).

A couple of days before my flight I received an email from Emirates with an upgrade offer to business class. It didn't take too much to persuade myself that it could be a Christmas present to myself because I probably wasn't going to have another opportunity to fly EMIRATES business class again.  and before I knew it I was boarding the plane and turning left instead of right. In an even more exciting turn of events, the whole business class cabin was empty and 'Miss Tarplee' had the whole cabin to herself.



8 hours later and I reluctantly had to get off the plane - who would have thought I would ever say those words. The airport was a little confusing but I finally found my way to my case and the exit. Being a British Citizen I didn't require a visa but I did get a new stamp for my passport which I was way more excited about than any other normal human being would be.

People had warned me about what was next, but I still found it pretty intense. Walking into the arrivals area there were hundreds of people holding up name signs and shouting taxi at me. Thankfully, I had booked a car through my hotel booking, and I eventually spotted my name and driver.

The roads were like nothing I had ever seen before. There appears to be no road rules in Bali, and SO MANY motorbikes. I was a little scared for my life instantly - one of many times this happened in Bali.

I had booked a week in Amadea Resort in Seminyak to begin my trip. I was no longer Miss Tarplee, I was now 'Ms Megan' for the duration of my stay. The staff were wonderful from the moment I arrived. I was shown to my room which was a nice size and just what I was after for the week. Unfortunately, I did have to complain then about the fact they had put me in a block that was having construction work done an there was drilling and hammering from about 8am to 9pm - not what I had been looking for when I booked my relaxing week in Bali. Thankfully the staff were, again, great and upgraded me to another room - this one had a bath, and was steps away from the quiet pool.


 Bali was a lot more intense than I had imagined. I was staying in a brilliant location right in the heart of Seminyak, but every time I left the hotel I found it very stressful. As a lone female traveller, I was very nervous about where was safe to go. I kept to the main streets and had a wander, but there was a constant stream of locals trying to sell me things and make me go into their shops. Every time a taxi went past (which was approx every 10 seconds) they slowed down and beeped at me to see if I needed a ride which made me jump every single time. 


On my first morning, I was really adventurous, and I went to ...Starbucks. I found a seat outside and just sat and watched the world go by. People seemed to leave me alone a bit more if I was actually sat drinking coffee. I took a little walk to Seminyak village and browsed the shops but prices were very much like prices at home, so there were no bargains to be found. I didn't feel ready to attempt the market alone just yet.

My conclusion from my trip down the road was that I wasn't very good at being a solo traveller in Bali, so I might as well try and relax for the week. But I'm not very good at relaxing either. So to help with this I took  quite a few trips to the spa. My particular favourite of these trips was mani/pedi day, where my therapist who didn't speak very much English was constantly trying to make conversation with me. Firstly, she had never heard of New Zealand, and then when I told her I was from England she was more fascinated by the fact I had the same name as 'Prince Harry's wife!'. To end the treatment she started pulling on my arm hair, telling me 'you very hairy, you should book arm wax'. Delightful lady. 
FYI my arms are not THAT hairy


I spent the next few days either floating like a starfish in the pool or sat by the pool reading the magazines. I even made a friend one day - a lady who started telling me we were all pretty much screwed if there was an earthquake/tsunami because our evacuation area was in a silly place. I then went on to spend the rest of the week a little worried I was going to die.


Towards the end of the week, some people that were going to be on my tour arrived in Seminyak so I was no longer alone. As soon as I stepped out with other people I instantly felt more relaxed and actually started to appreciate Bali a bit more. I worked out the taxis and even made it into the markets. We spent some of the afternoon drinking cocktails and floating in the W Hotel pool as one of the group was staying there. It was an amazing hotel located on the beach. I didn't even see the inside of the hotel, but from the outside areas, I was instantly jealous and wished I was staying there.




 For dinner, we went to Motel Mexicola. A popular location that I had never heard of. The food was delicious and the margaritas were dangerous. There was a great atmosphere and it was here that I discovered the Australian dance 'The Nutbush'. Personally, I would describe it as the Australian Macarena but I'm not sure they would agree! I've since seen Sophie Monk do it on Instagram, and feel like I'm now pretty much an Australian Citizen because I knew what it was.


We also took a trip to Potato Head Beach Club which was one I had heard of, and after visiting in the evening, I was disappointed I hadn't visited earlier in the week because it was completely not what I imagined. In my head, it was an all-day party on the beach, but it was like a huge chill zone and I definitely could have gone there on my own. 



The following day I took another trip to the spa (still trying to learn how to relax), and this was my first experience of a Balinese full body massage. An interesting experience given that 'protecting your clients modesty' doesn't appear to be a thing in Bali, but still very relaxing, especially when mid-leg massage my therapist decided to leave my leg hanging and go to the bathroom. 

Before our tour started, I relocated to the Grandmas Hotel as this was the pick up point. This was more like a noisy Travelodge, and not quite the luxury of the previous hotel (that wasn't even that luxurious for Bali) but it was a lot cheaper than most hotels and did the job (actually it didn't because it was noisy and I barely slept, but I'm trying to be positive).

In the morning our tour guide was waiting for us in reception and we boarded a bus. The tour was the Bali Island Hopper, and our first stop was Lembongan Island. The boat journey was another interesting experience. I'm not really scared of boats, but this little thing was flying in the waves and it was a little bit terrifying. I survived this bit though. All was still good at this point.

We headed to another boat to take part in some water activities first including a seawalker experience (walking under the sea with a big diving helmet on), a banana boat (did make a bit of a fuss about people breaking their necks on these - didn't. Another activity I shouldn't have really been concerned about) and scuba diving (best moment of my whole time in Bali). 




Whilst on Lembongan Island we stayed in Sammada Hotel - this was probably the most basic of all included on the tour but a lot nicer than the Grandmas Hotel. There was a nice quiet pool area and a beach just outside.

Although the island is pretty small, there are a few things to check out, so in the late afternoon we jumped in some cars and headed to some key points with our tour guide. Our first stop was a nice lookout point. Now I was a little stressed about the cars not having seat belts and how we were probably all going to die... but no, this bit was also fine... and the view was quite nice too. 


And then we got to Devil's Tear.


Real life account of the next half an hour

 "I bet loads of people die here" - Me, 16:30, Sunday 16th December 2018

"Everyone is getting way too close to the edge, they are crazy" - Me, 16:32, Sunday 16th December 2018. 

"I'm actually really excited for dinner. I think I really want a pizza" - Me, 16:34, Sunday 16th December

"That's a really nice photo that person is taking down there, too bad I'm never gunna get any closer to the sea to get a photo like that" - Me, 16:40, Sunday 16th December 2018 

"Actually, it seems pretty safe at this bit, shall we go an take a picture?" - Me, 16:46, Sunday 16th December 2018

Me, 16:52, Sunday 16th December -


If, for some reason, you cannot view the video of me sat soaking wet and bleeding on the rocks, here are some more delights for you - 





So that was me, pretty much unable to walk for the rest of the trip.

For those that don't know the story: A big wave came that was completely unexpected, and I got knocked off my feet and dragged across the rocks. 

Annoyingly I lost my brand new flip-flops and my Topdeck water bottle. Also, my phone was in my pocket and my camera was in my bag.
Incredibly, my Ray-Bans stayed on my head. They have survived so much it's actually unbelievable. I literally left them in an Uber in another country once and they made their way back to me.

For those who did know the story because I tell everyone about that time I almost died in Bali: Sorry that I told it again. 

My injuries got worse over the next few days as they started to swell and bruise. So the following day I found myself on Gili T paying another $200 for a ground floor room as I couldn't get up the stairs to my assigned hotel room.

But can we just appreciate that my pedicure was intact on my swollen feet?

*Extra note: Today's date is the 3rd April 2019, my feet are still not fully healed. 


Whilst visiting Gili Trawangan we were staying in the Vila Ombak hotel which was really nice. I particularly appreciated it because I spent pretty much my whole time confined to the hotel. At one point, the room service guy even came and iced my feet for me so we basically became family. 
 There were 2 lovely pool areas both with pool bars and plenty of sun loungers. 



Conveniently they also had a medical centre, another place I spent quite a lot of time - convinced I had fractured my shins. I hadn't, but it blimmin' felt like I had. 

On our final day in Gili T, I discovered that I could in fact ride a bike because that is a lot easier than walking - who knew. Knowing that it was something I was desperate to do in Bali, the tour guide helped me get to, and take a photo on a sea swing. Yes, I did have to get in the sea fully clothed, but I got my Bali swing picture and it made up for the fact I was quite broken (physically).


 With my new found freedom on a bike, I did get the opportunity to explore Gili T a little more on the last day. I even got to go for lunch with some of the girls in the group (who were all really lovely and I should probably add this positive note that I was really happy I got to meet everyone in my tour group) and spend some time on the beach. The weather was a little cloudy during our stay, but I could tell the place would be stunning when the weather was at it's best. 




Back on the main island, we headed to our final destination of the week, Ubud.

With a bit of time to spare that afternoon, we went to the Monkey Forest. I was able to hobble in flip flops at this point and the forest was almost next to our hotel. Hobbling was a little bit more of a challenge when it started to rain, but I made it. 
Now I realise I sound like I'm scared of everything in Bali but the monkeys were terrifying. I have no idea how people get photos of monkeys crawling on their bodies because I got the impression they wanted to bite all my limbs off if I even made eye contact with them. One even threw an apple over my head which was almost as traumatising as the time I nearly died. Needless to say, I didn't stay long. 






The final day of our trip was the most enjoyable for me because I got to sit on a bus for the majority. We went on a proper full day guided tour which included a Balinese dance show. Highlight was getting my photo put on a plate, but the show was pretty good too. 
Throughout the day our tour guide taught us about Balinese culture - we even visited a family compound. We learnt so much including family structures, religious holidays and how the locals make money. 





After the show, we went to the rice fields. Probably one of the main things people think of when you say Bali. To get to the rice fields involved a bit of a walk, so suddenly I found myself sat on the back of a motorbike being ridden to the entry. No helmet and wearing a denim skirt. I was thrilled as you can probably imagine. But at least I didn't have to walk!
When we arrived I was excited to see that we could go on a huge swing over the rice fields. The views were great, and I was happy to pay the *roughly* $10 to go on it. I was even really brave at one point and took one hand off (see picture evidence of thrill-seeker Megan below)- forgot I was strapped in and probably could have actually done no hands.
I also did my first haggling here and got myself a fridge magnet and a dream catcher. Essentials. Apparently, you have to haggle in Bali. When you ask how much things are, the sellers usually start off with a silly price knowing that people will try and get it cheaper. 





During the afternoon we also had lunch overlooking Mt Batur - an active volcano near Ubud, we visited a huge temple, and our final stop was a Bali must - coffee. Not just any coffee, this was basically cat-poo coffee. I had seen this on a Kara and Nate vlog, and they said it was pretty good, so I was very keen to try it. Don't worry, they do roast the beans numerous times after they have 'been digested' by an Indonesian civet cat. The coffee is called Kopi Luwak, and is the second most expensive coffee in the world supposedly. And I actually thought it was really nice. No regrets.

Here is a really beautiful picture of me looking like an actual child and holding my cat-poo-chino.



To end the trip, I had to endure one more motorbike ride - this time to get my final bandage change and listen to another doctor try and persuade me my foot was not going to get infected and amputated, and then it was time to head back to Seminyak. 

I had booked my flight for the next day so also had another night in the Grandmas hotel. Enough time to squeeze in a McDonalds before I left - because don't we all like to try McDonalds in different countries to see if it tastes different? I can confirm this one tasted the same, but I was outraged because they didn't do Diet Coke - not even Coke Zero!!!! 

I booked a car to the airport for 10am, and for one final Bali fright, the hotel reception decided to call my room at 6:30am to wrongly inform me that my tour group were waiting for me. I picked up my New Zealand phone and saw the NZ local time of 11am and instantly freaked out and thought I was going to miss my flight. The poor receptionist (who only spoke basic English) was just as confused as me!

Needless to say, I was quite happy for this trip to be over. 

And yes, I did get wheel-chaired around the airport and to my flights.

Next stop: Vietnam





Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Megan Tarplee. Design by FCD.