Megan's 'Moving to Auckland' Guide

Friday 4 May 2018



In 2018, I decided to up sticks and move to Auckland, New Zealand. I was granted a working holiday visa for 1 year and headed over on my own into the unknown. 
I thought I would share I few things I learnt along the way just in case anyone reading just happens to be moving to Auckland..(You never know)

Where to live
If you are not planning on getting a car for your trip, a good location is pretty important as the public transport system in Auckland isn't fantastic. Recommended suburbs include: 

Ponsonby
Grey Lynn 
Mount Eden 
Kingsland 
Mount Albert 
Parnell 

You can find rooms on TradeMe, or on Auckland Flatmate Facebook groups. 
The average room can cost between $150-$300 a week – dependant on location and budget. 

Jobs
Finding a job is fairly easy. There are numerous ways to do this. My background is admin, so I contacted a local recruitment company and became a temp – this gives me the freedom of working pretty much when I want. 
Temping can also be done in other job fields, and adverts are easy to find online. Admin work pays about $20+ per hour so can be great to save some money. 

If you prefer hospitality, there are tons of cafes and bars that are always recruiting. If you want to work in a coffee shop, you are likely to need barista experience, however, some places may be willing to teach you. Hospitality can pay a slightly lower wage at $16+ per hour – however, you may find some places that are willing to pay more.


There are also companies such a Sidekicker and The Recruitment Network that employ you on a casual basis, and you can just work the shifts you want. They often have work at events and concerts. This could be anything from security to bar staff. The plus side of this is that you may get to enjoy some of the events for free.
Helping Hands is a great website that allows you to create a profile documenting your experience and skills, which employers can view and contact you regarding jobs they are recruiting. 

You may also find casual work available 



Opening a bank account 
ANZ is the only bank that will open a bank account for someone on a working holiday visa. You will require a proof of address – this is something I struggled with as they would not accept a letter from my landlord. I ended up using a bank statement from home with my UK address, and then once my account was set up I changed it to my NZ address – bizarre procedure. 

You also require photo ID (must be your passport) and a copy of your visa 

You will be given the option of whether you want an EFTPOS card or a Visa card. I chose EFTPOS as it was free, but I will be going back to get a Visa card as you are unable to use EFTPOS for online purchases. Visa also comes with Paywave (which us Brits just refer to as contactless). 

IRD number
You require an IRD number to work in NZ, and it’s a pain to get one. The bank provided me with the form I required and you need to complete it and take it to a post office with a copy of your visa (the whole thing is required – don’t let the post office try an give you some back), and a signed/stamped bank statement that shows that you have an account and have made a withdrawal and a deposit. You also have to supply a copy of your passport. 

If all your information is correct, it should take 10 working days to process. 

I would recommend getting your bank account and IRD number sorted as soon as you get to NZ as it can take quite a while, and you need these before you can get a job.


Making friends 
Moving to a new place can be lonely if you do it alone. I was lucky to have a friend already living in Auckland; however she works a lot so I spent a lot of time on my own. 


There are lots of ‘friendship groups’ that are city-specific on Facebook. They arrange lots of different events that anyone can attend. I joined these, but I never felt confident enough to attend an event, however, a friend from home told me about Bumble BFF. For those who don’t know, Bumble is an app similar to Tinder, however, it has a feature for finding friends rather than love. I was a little apprehensive about it at first but ended up plucking up the courage to meet a group of girls for drink one evening and I was so glad that I did. There were quite a few people using the app that were just like me – even from England and had just moved to Auckland on a one year visa not really knowing anyone. I’m so glad that I joined Bumble, as I don’t think I would have enjoyed my time in Auckland as much on my own. 



Since I have been here, I have also discovered Hey! Vina which is made by Tinder and is there version of a 'making friends app' - although there are more profile feature available on this one, there doesn't seem to be as much activity. 

Other useful tips 


  • You must have your passport for ID when buying age restricted products such as alcohol or entering a club – they will not accept foreign driving licenses.
  • If you are going to be a regular on public transport, it is worth buying an AT Hop card. This is Auckland's travel card which you pre paid which money and swipe on and off when you use the buses, trains and ferrys. 
  • If you are taking your mobile phone with you, make sure you get it unlocked first! I got a sim only deal with Vodafone for $19 a month but make sure you shop around as deals will always be changing.
  • Say yes to new things! You've moved to the other side of the world. You may as well create some unforgettable experiences.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Megan Tarplee. Design by FCD.