Places to visit in Amsterdam

Wednesday 2 March 2016




1. Red Light District

There is nothing seedy about this I promise. The Red Light District was one of the most interesting places I have ever visited. Walking through brings many different emotions. You will cringe and feel sad for the girls (and guys) that you see, but there is also that school girl immaturity that will make you find the whole place funny. It is so much bigger than I ever imagined and also very busy. A strict rule is that you are not allowed to take any pictures whilst there, so dont try and get a selfie with any of the girls. One of the best things I did when there was visit The Red Light District Museum. This gives you more of an insight to the area, you can see examples of the rooms they are in, and also what got them to this point. It is ver sad to see, as a lot of the girls are there due to drugs. You can also stand in a window and see what it is like to have everyone looking at you the way they do when they walk past - dont worry you get to keep your clothes on, and it is obvious it is a museum.


2. Anne Franks House


My biggest recommendation if you are planning on visiting Anne Franks House is to get there as early as possible. We went late morning and still queued for 2 hours (in the hail stones) to get in. If I am honest, I didn't really know the full story of Anne Frank before I went, and was not really fussed about visiting, I purely went because my friends were very keen to go. I am so glad they persuaded me though as it was a very interesting experience. You get to walk around the house, watch videos and read many interesting things throughout. Again, you are not allowed to take pictures as you walk through - you can only do that if you are Beyonce apparently, but I do things cameras and phones an be a distraction sometimes, so I think this is a good thing.



3. Canal Boat Ride

One of my most enjoyable moments of my trip to Amsterdam was the canal boat ride. Luckily the sun made an appearance for this trip and it was so relaxing. On the boat we went on, we got headphones so we could have a guided tour of the whole trip. You could pick what language you hear and they tell you what everything is. It is very interesting to listen to but also I found some of the journey I didn't need to wear the headphones as I was so relaxed looking at the scenery. It takes you all around Amsterdam and you can get some great photos. The canals are everywhere in Amsterdam, as the city is pretty much made up of canals so the journey can go on for about an hour. 


4. The Iamsterdam Sign

A great photo opportunity. I believe there are a few of these signs around as I have seen there peoples photos and they have a different back drop to the one we were near. The signs are very busy in the day, but if you can get to them in the night there is no one about so you can get some cool photos. You can climb on the letters - not that I'm encouraging you, incase you break an arm or something. But it is a must have photo if you are visiting the city. A challenge is trying to get the whole sign in one picture. As you can see... I failed. 



5. The Sex Museum

Let be honest, if you are going to Amsterdam, you have to go here. You will see some of the weirdest things you have ever seen in your life at this place. It was tacky and fantastic experience. There was one room that you have an option to skip, and personally I did skip it because it was a bit too much, but the rest of it is pretty entertaining. After visiting a museum of a very similar nature in New York, I can confirm that this one is much more amusing. When in the building, you are allowed to take photos, which can mean you end up leaving with some very 'different' photos on your camera. Maybe  not the kind of pictures I should post on here. The place is quite small and hard to spot from the outside. So here's a picture, so that you know what you are looking for. 


6. The Ice Bar 

My final place is a 'visit with caution' place. This is due to the fact that I personally had a bad experience, however I think the place would be a lot more enjoyable if that hadn't happened. Like most ice bars, it literally is just a bar made of ice. You get to wear the big blue coats with a hood and some gloves. Unfortunately we were bought our tickets from a man who told us we could go in the next group, so we downed our drinks and went and put the coats on. When it was time to go in, a separate member of staff said we were queue cutting and was very rude. When we explained the man had told us we could go in, he said in front of everyone (customer included) that we were liars and he had never spoken to us. Obviously that did not start us off with good vibes and it put a downer on the rest of the visit. I have been to other Ice Bars with no issue though and it has been pretty fun. 




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Megan Tarplee. Design by FCD.