My New York City Top Tips

Saturday 12 March 2016



1. If you are visiting the Statue of Liberty (which you just completely must) then aim to go really early. I have been twice, the first time we went early lunch time and had to queue for about 2 hours. The second time, I did my research. The first ferry is at 8.30am - so we got there for 8am and barely had to queue. It was so much better. The only downside was, none of the food places were open on the island. The souvenir shop however, was open. 

2. You need to visit both The Empire State Building and The Rockefeller Centre. You may wonder why you would need to do both. You need to do one in the day, and one in the night, as the view is incredible both light and dark. I almost missed seeing the night time skyline as I was super tired. But my friend dragged me there and I'm so glad I didn't sleep through the experience. 

3. Times Square is so much better at night. There is much more atmosphere and the brightness and lights are incredible. Its still good in the day, but better at night. I have walked through Times Square at 5am and there is still loads of people about. 

4. Don't forget to tip. This is a general American thing, not just New York. It's the thing over there, you need to tip in restaurants, in taxis, at the bar, and in hotels. If you don't tip, it is considered very rude, and sometimes they will actually ask you for their tip.  Try and have dollar bills available for smaller tips. 20% is usually the average tip amount. 

5. None of their prices include tax, so don't be surprised when you get to the till and its actually a bit more than you thought. Also try and keep in mind the exchange rate. I find when something says $10, I see it as £10 - but its not! Its cheaper!

6. The 9/11 memorial is the most emotional place you will ever visit. It's a must visit. But if you intend to go the museum, you will need to book online before hand. I have never been inside because I forget to book every time.

7. Make sure you walk around other areas that just tourist areas. New York is an amazing place, but sometimes I think the non tourist areas are the most interesting. 

8. It's quite difficult to get a big bag onto the subway. They have turnstiles to get in, so unless you have someone with you to help, you will struggle with big bags on the subway.

9. You can get a week pass for the Subway for about $35, which is pretty incredible considers you can pay like £12 a day on the London Underground. Be wary of the subway at night though. Don't travel alone. 

10. You will encounter some very 'different' people in New York. I have had people sing to me, strangers trying to get money off me, and various other strange things happen. It's all part of New York. You will also meet the happiest most over enthusiastic people, as well as the grumpiest people ever. Just embrace it. 

11. Wear comfy shoes, you will find yourself walking distances you didn't even know where possible. There is nothing worse than having blisters and sore feet on holiday. Especially in a destination where a lot of walking is involved. But don't worry if the pain begins, a yellow taxi is always around. 



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Megan Tarplee. Design by FCD.